Monday, November 9, 2015

Why I'm Quitting College Gameday...



*Disclaimer: I usually try to post blogs that are encouraging and spiritual in nature. However, today is just a personal blog that I wanted to share with everyone.

For the good part of my teenage years and adult life, I have had a Saturday morning routine. This was almost a ritual, if you will, unless there was something that effected my schedule (like actually going to a college football game). I would wake up on Saturday Morning during college football season between 8am and 9am. I would then find the nearest TV and remote, so I could turn it to ESPN and watch the last part of Sportscenter as it led in to College Gameday.

I loved hearing the guys analyze that week's big match ups, share stories that would make a grown man cry, and eagerly await Corso's pick for the day. I have even looked forward to a segment this year called #YouHadOneJob. It was my one thing that I looked forward to every Saturday even if the programming has gotten too long and you can tell they are struggling to fill up time. I know at what point I can go take my shower and not miss anything good.

That was until this last Saturday. You see, the last time College Gameday was in Tuscaloosa the celebrity picker was Eric Church. I am not quite sure how Eric Church and Alabama football go together. I say this, because ESPN, in the past, have picked someone who had ties to the state or tied to the particular University that they were visiting. It was an underwhelming choice, in my opinion, but I forgave them for it and moved on.

ESPN's College Gameday had a chance to redeem themselves this past Saturday. I was excited to see who they might choose. On Saturday morning, College Gameday releases a post on Instagram announcing that the picker would be Rick Ross. RICK ROSS?? Whoa now!

Rick Ross? Let's forget for a moment that, once again, he has no ties to the University or the State of Alabama. This is a guy who was arrested during the summer on kidnapping and assault charges. I know what you're thinking, "Everyone makes mistakes." Yes, that's true. Let me explain.

How hypocritical is it for a panel of experts to berate a coach for his decision to allow a player to continue playing over certain charges such as domestic violence, assault, DUI, etc., but they allow Rick Ross to sit on their panel and make picks? These experts talk about how coaches don't discipline their players, the suspension wasn't long enough, that player should've never gotten a second chance, etc. Yet, they allow Rick Ross to grace the stage after being arrested for kidnapping and assault charges.

Check out the story here: http://www.wsbtv.com/news/news/local/rapper-rick-ross-bodyguard-arrested-aggravated-ass/nmj76/

I have lost respect of the show, because they would allow this to happen. Practice what you preach. Don't call out coaches for lack of judgment in discipline when you allow a man like Rick Ross to appear on your show. I know I am a small voice in a huge flood of fans and it won't make a difference. Personal convictions have won over and it's time for a change in Saturday morning programming.

However, as of November 9, 2015, I have quit ESPN's College Gameday built by the Home Depot. SEC Nation - you have just gained a fan and a follower.

No comments: